This fantastic one-off drama travels back in time to 1963 to see how the beloved Doctor Who was first brought to the screen.
Actor William Hartnell felt trapped by a succession of hard-man roles. Wannabe producer Verity Lambert was frustrated by the TV industry’s glass ceiling. Both of them were to find unlikely hope and unexpected challenges in the form of a Saturday tea-time drama, time travel and monsters!
Allied with a team of brilliant people, they went on to create the longest-running science fiction series ever, now celebrating its 50th anniversary.
An Adventure in Space and Time is written by Mark Gatiss, executive produced by Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat and Caroline Skinner and directed by Terry McDonough.
David Bradley (Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Broadchurch) plays the lead role of William Hartnell while Jessica Raine (Call the Midwife, The Woman in Black) co-stars as the first ever producer of Doctor Who, Verity Lambert.
The stellar cast is joined by Sacha Dhawan (Waris Hussein), Lesley Manville (Heather Hartnell), and Brian Cox (Sydney Newman). A must see drama for all doctor who and drama fans alike.Special features (and there's a lot of them) are as follows:
- Special leaflet featuring programme images and an exclusive foreword by writer and executive producer Mark Gatiss
- William Hartnell: The Original
- The Making of An Adventure – narrated by Carole Ann Ford
- Reconstructions (i.e. classic scenes perfomed by the new cast)
- – Scenes from An Unearthly Child and the pilot
- - Regenerations
- – Farewell to Susan
- - Festive Greeting
- – The Title Sequences
An Adventure in Space and Time is released on DVD on Monday 3rd December - the same day as the DVD release of The Day of the Doctor.
- – Deleted Scenes
- - The Radiophonic Workshop
- – Verity’s Leaving Party”
[Source: Doctor Who TV]