The episode had 8.29 million viewers on average and a share of 30.5% of the overall audience.
That's a great figure considering the lower ratings all around this Christmas - and the episode also scored the highest rated moment of the day with a peak figure of 10.2 million tuning in at the conclusion of the episode to see Matt Smith regenerate into Peter Capaldi. It's also up over half a million on last year's Christmas special, The Snowmen.
Doctor Who was second for the day, beating its direct ITV competition Coronation Street which aired at exactly the same time. The top 5 for Christmas Day, for context, is as follows:
- Mrs Brown's Boys - BBC (9.4 million)
- Doctor Who - BBC (8.29 million)
- Coronation Street - ITV (8.27 million)
- EastEnders - BBC (7.78 million)
- Strictly Come Dancing - BBC (7.3 million)
The consolidated viewing figures will be released next week.