The Special had 7.83 million viewers on average after a week of delayed viewing, a significant rise of 2.15 million on the overnight figure of 5.68 million. That puts it up year on year, above The Husbands of River Song's final rating of 7.69 million, despite achieving a lower overnight rating from that episode.
Doctor Who was the joint sixth most watched programme on Christmas Day:
- Call the Midwife - 9.21 million
- Mrs Brown's Boys - 8.98 million
- Strictly Come Dancing - 8.94 million
- Christmas Bake Off - 8.21 million
- Coronation Street (ITV) - 8.20 million
- Doctor Who - 7.83 million
- Emmerdale (ITV) - 6.21 million
- Frozen - 5.25 million
- Maigret (ITV) - 4.92 million
- The Lion King (ITV) - 4.02 million
Doctor Who was fifth for the week on BBC One behind the above programmes, and eighth for the week overall. The figure doesn't include those watching iPlayer online (thought it does include people watching iPlayer through a TV).
[Source: Digital Spy Forums]